
As I have slowly been regaining my footing and rhythm in life, I have realized that my goals both artistically, and personally have changed and evolved. I have been reading some online journals of other artists, and I've been finding inspiration in how openly they are able to share their lives, thoughts, hopes, wishes, and dreams. Being an introverted individual I find it difficult to write about myself at times. I realize now that I need to slowly overcome this blockage especially as it relates to art since it hinders my own creative expression. The voice that I use here with you is my true voice... but it is fragile and vulnerable at times.

I started my artistic journey with the hopes of crafting beautiful works that kindred spirits would find joy, comfort and beauty in. My jewelry is to be a constantly evolving progression of these endeavors, nourished seeds from my heartfelt wishes to spread intrinsic power, peace (and yes as corny as it sounds) love through my hands. I have had several people tell me through my life when meeting me how my hands have this constant uncanny heat, they are vessels of energy. Now as I grow older I am developing the same arthritic knuckles that my grandma (who I was named after) has, these infrequent aches have shifted how I approach my work, and what mediums I wish to engage in. Hands are meant to be supportive, caring, sustaining, and nurturing... I use mine with intent as I cradle my daughter's full round cheeks, or wash her little body. My hands often fly about like excited little birds when I get animated as I speak, they also like to smooth bed sheets, shell peas, pinch pastry dough, and seek out the small of my man's strong back.
As of now my hands are eager to compose new things... to work with the coolness of clay, textures of natural elements, and the softness of fabric. I feel increasingly mindful that each piece of jewelry I make with them holds a resonance of their energy, and their heat. And so I am making space again in my life and work, sharing through the shop (in these photos above) some extra special elements that I cannot hoard any longer but hope can be treasured anew by others.
Baby greyhound snuggling in my lap
Today my hands were able to cuddle this wonderful little creature named in Japanese after a divine wind. There is nothing so precious as the trust that a baby animal or human expresses. As this tiny one sought refuge on my lap for her quiet place to rest, I mentally thought how if I could sustain this inner feeling of peace that she found in me I could do better, in my art, in my life as a mother, and friend and partner.
I tend to want to overcomplicate things, I see all the possibilities in different mediums and techniques in art, and I want to learn them all and experiment. This sweet video I found last night brought me home to the realization that I need not feel like everything I make has to be extremely complicated, the product of chemicals, adhesives and fumes. That I don't need to blast, and torch, and pound, and strain mentally over each creation.. but just do and make with grace and wonderful materials.
I want to say thank you to everyone who has commented, read my posts, or purchased something from my shop. I am so grateful for your friendship, support and kindness, I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you. xo!


A wonderfully expressed and inspirational post. Enjoy the now. ...and now I must have pesto.
ReplyDeleteLOL yes I want pesto too! :) In fact I am always craving carbs. <3 Tracy your work and blog inspire me constantly.
DeleteLovely post. "make with grace" is such a beautiful summation of your artistic goals. It sounds like you live with grace and joy as well. How wonderful for everyone in your life, virtual or in your actual presence.
ReplyDeleteI am slowly learning this concept from uber talented and wise artists like yourself. If I can capture just a small fraction of the light you contribute and share through your art I will be a happy woman.
DeleteI'm really impressed by your open-heartedness here. This is the best kind of blogging- pretty pictures and peachy perfect sunshine talk are all well and good, but this stuff is the real dirt. I felt a real sense of peace in your words. And yes- our hands are amazing, and our conscious decisions at what we do with them even more so.
ReplyDeleteThank you my friend, the honesty and candor you put forth in all your writing whether it is on your own personal blog or comments on someone else's motivates me to do better with mine. <3
Deleteyou expressed yourself so beautifully! there is such a loveliness in reticent or introverted people like you, I swear.
ReplyDeletemy hands stand up to endless abuse as i rush through a million aesthetic possibilities each day. it's like they're sprinting to keep up with my head. I so wish i had the peace you speak of. i'd love to spend time each day cooking, cleaning, exercising, bathing...
but yes, you have to resist that pressure to buy all tools, master all techniques. you could spend a life making things simply out of wire with nothing but pliers, or just shaping clay, or with needle and thread or even stringing pretty beads. each element of the universe has the entire universe inside it somehow, just like each of our cells has the dna to make a whole other us. so within any one technique is an infinity of possibilities. by falling in love with just one or two, you could be set forever. and it could be as simple as carving beads out of leftover wood you can find for free at the home depot or something. but you have to find what calls to you and allow yourself to fall in love with it...
seriously I am overcome right now, thank you for this comment, you always help me see the forest through the trees no matter what I'm doing. Also it is really nice for introverted people like me to have friends who understand their reticence and timidity without criticism. I am putting a portion of this response on my sidebar as a reminder of what my artistic purpose and direction should be. Love ya. <3
DeleteSorry to here about your arthritic knuckle, I think we all suffer from some damage, I suffer from psorasis and I've manged to rip a sizable chunk of skin off my thumb. But it wont stop us creating. So true that sometimes you need to step back and be more mindful of how we develop our artistic visions. Can't wait to see your new work, already loving your pinterest
ReplyDeleteThanks Marcia I would have never have known that you also have an affliction with your hands, all of your creations are so joyful and skillfully made. You're right it isn't going to stop us from creating, and I love your pinterest too... LOL.. you can tell cause I am constantly re-pinning from your boards. <3
Delete