Monday, July 2, 2012

Of two minds...





"I have a complete vision, and thats what makes me an artist- i keep searching for it, moving toward it. its an obsession and i have to keep expressing it."  - fanciful devices 



Hello everyone, I know it has been awhile since I have blogged and posted.  Life has seemed to advance at such a rapid rate, and I have had to force myself to pause.  Having recently overcome some health issues, I am ready again to start working, and have missed interacting with you my friends. Luckily though in the art world I've been fortunate enough to enjoy the amazing things my friends and muses have been crafting.  These talented women have elevated jewelry into a higher expression. I wish I could feature everyone's work here that has been impressing me of late, (I certainly don't mean to leave anyone out), but I only have so much time so I'll spread out more of my favorites in future posts ok?

Here are some examples:


Trail of the Mermaids Tears assemblage earrings by Anvil Artifacts

What can I not say about Janet of Anvil? She has become one of my closest friends and mentors, and is quite possibly the nicest person you could ever hope to meet. Not a day goes by that I haven't been grateful for her friendship and support this past year.  Beyond her stellar spirit, she is a queen of patinas and scratch built components.  I always smile to see her work published in Belle Armoire magazine.  

My 5 year old daughter has not taken off a bracelet that Janet gifted to her months ago (and it makes my heart glad to see a token from my friend on her body).  My kid keeps reminding me that Janet is her friend first, (which cracks me up).   Janet's work is always complete to me, meaning that nothing is ever lacking, each piece is harmonious, and every detail is seen too.  I love these earrings above so much.. they are just wonderful. 


reserved for s - Chandelier Earrings - Red Cross, Cameo, Labradorite, Crystal, Pearl, Chain - Red Cross Assemblage Earrings

The problem with Richelle's shop is that everything in it is just so good,  I find myself hard pressed to highlight just one thing.. but there you go. On top of  all this, Richelle is very intelligent and grounded. Check out her blog  here to see what I mean.  I remember reading some of Richelle's comment's off of Fanci's blog and thinking "whoa... this woman's sharp."  Plus her output is amazing, very productive... makes me feel like a slouch :)   

Southwest Vortex Bangle Stack

Readbetweenlines' inventiveness is always exciting to see... these bangles are  beautiful, and I love the bottle, acorn, colors, shapes, sizes and textures here.  Her shop really is a wunderkammer of lovely things, and I admire her fearless experimental nature.


Long Inro pendant

Pipnmolly... jeez... enough said, this woman is incredible, and her blog equally so.  I mean just look at it!!!  She humbles me. 



The Wraith. Victorian Tribal dollhouse assemblage.

I am not ashamed to say that I actually got a lump in my throat, and started tearing while just thinking about writing about Fanci (this is partially due to my recovering hormone balances).  I don't know where I would be without her and Sparrow keeping me sane, and never faltering in their encouragement of me and my own journey.  From her recent embossing techniques, to gilding, to Utee, and folded tin.. I mean her influence is seen everywhere. Yesterday I did a random search for tribal gypsy bangle stack on Etsy and look at the results.   

As part of my recent learning process I  have been paging through Fanci's sold section, and realizing how much I still can learn from her.  Beyond actual techniques, Fanci shares art theory concepts on her blog that help me immensely.  Which brings me to introducing what I have been doing these past months.  The quote by Fanci at the top of this post is really the theme.

I haven't been entirely idle during my break, I've been building and working on a new shop and line of work in the interim.  Although I have no jewelry to show at the moment I have been crafting and exploring my own atmospheric world.  



  
The link to my new shop is above and I hope to be listing in there soon.  FlotsamTide remains open and I will still be posting pieces in there as well, (I'll also be destashing some more beads and kits which I am excited to share).  But a long time ago Sparrow remarked to me how I kinda had "two things going on" in Flotsam, and I agree, and have wanted to separate them out for quite some time, but I kept trying to force a combination of elements that for me just didn't work.  It wasn't until months later when Sparrow introduced me to Pinterest that I really began to value the mental organization of having different spaces for different themes and art, and decided to just pursue my persistent desire for a new space.  



My new shop is named Salome Sphinx after two female entities who have continually fascinated me with their mystery and otherworldiness.  I have been gradually building an online visual diary through my Tumblr page here:   

http://salomesphinx.tumblr.com/


You can find me on there and Pinterest most days, and my favorites on Etsy through the new shop as well. 

Solari

Salome with the Head of St. John the Baptist
Andrea Solari (1460-1524)




Oedipus & the Sphinx by Gustave Moreau


I don't want to bore anyone and have to commend you if you've made it to the bottom of this post.   You can find out more about my vision in my profile, and also by visiting my Tumblr.  


This post is dedicated to my friend Mu-Xuan Lin who has provided me with such vivid feedback and was the first to remark and note on a past piece of jewelry of mine how it reminded her of perfume which is exactly the mood I have been seeking, and the inspiration to pursue and flesh out this dream.


Much love for sticking with me... 

10 comments:

  1. Aww you cry when you think about Fanci! That is so cute; I love how she's bloomed on the concept front and really started to explore the why of what she does. This IS truly what makes us artists, and what keeps you in that same title. Keep going at your own pace, the most worthwhile journeys have the longest paths. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very kind and I'm honored that you've included me here among this group of uber talented women. Thank you! Your work is always beautiful, whether beach inspired or ethereal. Love it! It's fascinating to see the inspiration behind your new shop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh you guys have to check out her tumblr its magical!
    you should share some tumblr finds here to, so as to start sharing the vision... its really breathtaking.
    i love you girl! you are such a tender heart...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also honored to be included among such inspirational talent.
    ... and liking your tumblr stash.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny thing, those are all my faves too and you wrote it up and presented it all so nicely. What a sweet and thoughtful post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wowie, thanks so much for saying all that and including my earrings in your favorites! I'm very anxious to see your new work and all that you've got going on.

    I just wrote a ridiculously long comment in response to yours at my blog; probably should have just made a new post to give the info there but, ah...

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have hit the nail right on the head with your fave/mentor choices. sometimes I get stuck working because I think really how can I compete with such amazing ladies... What can I come up with that they haven't already done and their skills are so well developed. So I do nothing at all... Obviously something I need to work on. I have never been encouraged so much as I have been since I started hanging with Fanci's crowd. My life has changed because of her. It was a blessing the day I found her work and even more so when I found her blog. Pipnmolly .. Well what can be said. Janet.. Mind blowing extravaganza ... And Priscilla ... My mentor number one and what a wise and wonderful woman... And the list goes on right... Xxxx
    I have two shops now as well. More work for sure and slow to start up but I want a separate space for "my work" as well as for the vintage so we will see.
    Hope your health issues have sorted themselves out.... All the very best.
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dearest Kim, how you just made me blush head to toe by putting my name under the hallow and glory of these incredible jewelry artists and their works! I am honored!!! What would have become my world if without your thought, talent, and beautiful mind - a condensed, claustrophobic space that was the pedestal for a minor, highly competitive society inevitably created by a small group of brilliant yet shrewd alpha-males? Every time I wear your jewelries (especially in the summer) I am reminded of the shimmer of the way you think and of the warm breeze that travels between you and these wonderfully creative female individuals. Then I remember that I am one of you, yet working mostly with a different tool. Your new tumblr page stirs my imagination -- Fanci was right: you should post some of those images on your blog as well.
    -mx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving the soft decay aesthetic that your showing through your imagery. Antique bone colour and faded oil paints, beautiful. I think we all agree on your choice of inspirational mentors. I can't wait for your new shop to open and wishing you great success.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey Kim! Thanks for your visit on my blog. Always nice hear from you.Hope you are doing well and welcome back!
    Wishing you healthy, joy and inspiration to create.
    Hugs,Deb

    ReplyDelete