Monday, August 6, 2012

Glorious debris

Prophecy and Honey - driftwood petal necklace

"...I'm inclined to see the material backdrop of my life as mostly immaterial, compared with what moves inside of me.  I hold on to my adopted shore, chanting private vows; wherever I am, let me never forget to distinguish want  from need.  Let me be a good animal today.  Let me dance in the waves of my private tide, the habits of survival and love."

 - Barbara Kingsolver


Prophecy and Honey - driftwood petal necklace



"What a stroke of luck.  What a singular brute feat of outrageous fortune: to be born to citizenship in the Animal Kingdom.  We love and we lose, go back to the start and do it right over again.  For every heavy forebrain solemnly cataloging the facts of a harsh landscape, there's a rush of intuition behind it crying out:  High tide!  Time to move out into the glorious debris.  Time to take this life for what it is."  

- Barbara Kingsolver


Zayante - sea stone talisman


I am currently reading this, all the above excerpts are taken from her short essay "High Tide in Tucson", (also the title of the book), everyone should pick up or borrow a copy of this beautiful nonfiction at some point.  The dose of perspective Kingsolver shares is poignant, insightful, razor sharp, and comforting.  

Recently my man and I were able to go to a concert, being parents and homebodies we don't get to go out and see live music shows much, but it was a huge treat being among a large group of people all intent on having a good time.  At several points during the evening the crowd of 12,000 burst simultaneously into song, and it is hard to describe how wonderful and joyous that thundering noise was, to see the smiles on my neighbors faces, to witness the exuberance with which everyone was jumping and dancing.  At one point a lovely lady in the row in front of me  turned around and just grasped my hands with glee and pure happiness.  Strangers in the dark yet bound by our shared passion and energy for music.  Life is good, it is the little moments that are so significant, ... distinguishing our wants from our needs, and as individuals our needs are often so easily met by love. 

xo

8 comments:

  1. On reading your words and looking at your photographs I find myself wanting to know you, hang out with you and learn from you... There is a quietness... Peacefulness that you have that I very much admire. This book is the first thing I going to fin when I take my trip back home.... Back to the house that my mother just died in as I will need courage and strength because it will bw hard. I love B. Kingsolver, one of my fave authors . Your new work is so beautiful.
    I too have hand issues... Continual pain in my thumbs which me er goes away.. It feels better when I am wrapping and stringing beads. It I suffer afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cynthia I would love to get to know you better and hang out with you. In my mind I always think how great it would be to get all my Etsy friends in one place to meet up and talk. Your comment was really poignant, and I am going to private convo you. Sending you thoughts of strength and comfort for your journey. xo.

      Delete
  2. This post brought a smile to my face. You have such an eloquent, engaging way of writing, that it stirs the emotions and brings us right along with you. So glad you got to go have a wonderful time with your guy. Gorgeous necklaces! LOVE them. Wonderful post, enjoyable on so many levels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my friend, I equally enjoy your blog posts because I get to bliss out looking at all the beautiful things you create. I also love the glimpses you give of your personal workspaces, (your garden especially). There needs to be more plants in my posts... some day. xo!

      Delete
  3. Glad to see that you're creating again!!! Your new works are like little robins' nests in which found treasures are collected and gathered. Poetry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Comments from you are always such a treat, thank you for the beautiful descriptive feedback, you always inspire me with your keen and lovely mind. <3

      Delete
  4. Your new work is looking enchanting. I'm currently reading the Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, amazing imagery, just wish I had more hours in the day for reading and creating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you my friend. I agree finding time to read is challenging, I often read more than one book at a time picking one up and them snatching a bit from another. The Night Circus is a wonderful story! I hear they are going to make a movie of it.. hopefully it will do the book justice. xo!

    ReplyDelete