This was so wonderfully expressed I had to share it, there are so many things that go into what we make, for me it is not only beauty but our intentions of what we wish to express.
I have been happily beading in my small corner, finding joy in melding colors, making these necklaces that are more like talking storybooks to me. Narratives of our lives, a sequence of days broken up by moments of joy echoed by the little bursts of beads I incorporate. Sad moments are present too, but I prefer to think of them as teaching lessons, so perhaps the round of horn, or the cluster of iridescent glass is a hallmark to what we have known, processed or experienced.

I was talking to G last night about how people have been stringing beads for centuries, the various meanings, associations and cultural traditions associated with them. Beads have been used as covenants between nations, currency, gifts of love, material and spiritual wealth, celebratory and funerary pieces. When I am in my quiet space beading I think of all the women before me...unknown mothers, daughters, aunts, sisters and grandmas who have done the very same, and I feel a connection that tips me on my axis. Yes there are men also who have produced beautiful beadwork, (and I salute them as well), yet it is the feminine aspect of this rite and tradition that gets me thinking. I ruminate on my direct experience as a woman and mother who has a little one that sits at my knees, looks up at me with her shining eyes and says "Please mama can I bead with you?" and so the thread continues, this is my handiwork of knowledge that I am passing on to her. She is fortunate to have some wonderful distant aunties like fanci and Anvilartifacts that encourage this learning as well by sending her random beads and bits for her to experiment and explore with.
As fanci says: "Each element of the universe has the entire universe inside it somehow, just like each of our cells has the dna to make a whole other us."
And so I sit and continue to make these storybook strands feeling a kinship to the artisans before me, as well as the spider who patiently spins her web, and the birds who build their nests outside my window piece by piece...
xo


I love how your story is evolving through each piece that you make. I so love the play of colours and sweet random touch of larger stones
ReplyDeleteThank you for stopping by and reading and commenting, your friendship and feedback has been a sheer delight for me. <3
DeleteYour poetic words tug at my heartstrings once again as I picture the precious moments you have with your beautiful daughter, peacefully and lovingly creating together. Meaningful times and treasured keepsakes that I know you will both always hold dear. Thank you for inviting us to enjoy these splendid moments with you. <3
ReplyDeleteYou always write the perfect responses, the ones that make me smile and want to reach out and hug you through the computer. E loves all the stuff you have shared with her, as do I. xo!
DeleteBeautiful and positive thoughts...thanks for once again lifting me up.
ReplyDeleteBeatnheart you are gem.. thank you for being here <3
Deletethese are so perfect and complete in their simplicity.
ReplyDeleteomg- i just saw my words and pic in your sidebar!! oh you are too much putting all that up there. i thought it was gonna just be a button (like the size of an avatar). lol. im blushing here.
er but what i was going to say was how lovely your self expression is as usual. i used to feel exactly what you describe when i was a waitress! lol, sounds crazy, but how many eons of women have served food and drink? it was like i could sense them all in all i did. just laughing to myself here b.c it doesn't sound quite as poetic as yours, hu?
:) It makes me happy that you just seem to always understand what I am trying to put across whether in works or words. I can completely comprehend how waitressing would provide that same female connection... I love how the simplest of acts can be rendered beautifully. <3
Delete