Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Resonant earth



Just finished this piece last night since I have been having trouble sleeping of late, my daughter has been ill, and there's a lot on my mind.  I gain satisfaction in creating during the twilight hours, when the world is quiet and asleep, and I begin to drift into an inner landscape where I can concentrate on form, color and texture.  The vintage gold chain used in this piece came from Fanci, she is so awesome to share some of her overstock with me.  

There are some great elements in this necklace like the petrified wood briolette from Arizona, sea urchin spine, a handmade tassel and studded leather shape I made.  Even that tiny brass bell has presence. 

Hupa female shaman

Mongol shaman


"...your stuff channels some sort of great spirit, I really feel a sense of almost shamanistic communication with your stuff. Especially with the colour as well, it's like...fanci and I don't often do colour, but you have these vivid purples and magentas, I want to say that they're almost erotic or impassioned, like African war dances or frenzied orgies. They have a higher frenzy about them."   -SparrowSalvage

Sparrow has always understood the subtle nuances and shadows in Corvid, and I was taken aback when she wrote the above to me in a convo the other night since she is one of my mentors.  It is humbling having her and Fanciful as friends since their level of output, creativity, technique, and ingenuity never fails to incite within me envy, and stark admiration.  

2 comments:

  1. You certainly are talented, dear.

    The colors in your work are inspiring. Ethereal, shamanistic--like a trip on ayahuasca or peyote, I'd imagine. Some spirit-invoking intoxication.

    Beautiful, really.

    Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jordan, this such a compliment coming from you, I have been a fan of your shop for quite some time. The Masonic and Oddfelllows pieces you have been listing recently are all too tempting.

    ReplyDelete