Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Opulent riches



What a fortunate lucky girl am I to have such wonderful Etsy friends.   Jordan of the infamous OpulentOddities consented to do a trade with me for supplies, and I am squealing internally with glee over here.  The amount of beautiful stuff she sent me is staggering, enough to where my daughter was pulling out chains with eyes round as saucers, and told me with a voice full of awe how I have the nicest friends ever, and that some of these things were so pretty they had to have come from actual mermaids.  

I can't break everything down but there are enough rhinestone pieces to make my Corvid heart beat faster, rosary medals, glass pearls, and vintage rosary chains to wrap myself up in many times over.

Look at these hues... 

happiness

still squealing.... 

I remember the first time I discovered Opulent's work, it was off of a blog (the name I can't remember) and one of her extraordinary assemblage necklaces was showcased.  It was a combination of massive chains, crystals, and vintage tin pieces that blew me away with the simultaneous execution of creativity and beauty.  Thank you so much Opulent, your generosity is so very appreciated.


All of these riches promptly inspired me to make these two pairs of earrings using some of the components she sent me.


These are unabashedly influenced by fanci, I can never look at jewelry the same way without contemplating a "fanciful" dissection in my head as far as composition, form, color and unique materials.  My daughter has many books on faeries and the fey, and I am drawn to the idea of earrings as mobiles crafted from found objects and crystals.... more of these to come but in a different vein. 


I just have to say it ......  Sparrow has the prettiest photographs and listings on Etsy.  She can make anything look good, even a plastic kitchen timer.  Her photography is incredible, and just recently she wrote an EPIC blog post on backgrounds (which you can find here).  I have cobbled together this new backdrop out of the old Victorian photo album pages I had been using, the back of the Asian calendar fanci sent my daughter, and a torn book cover also from fanci.  I am not sure about the deep teal blue in the background so suggestions are always welcome.  


8 comments:

  1. eeek! squeeee!
    thump! (I just passed out from all the pretties.)
    oh jeez, yr baby saying they had to have come from actual mermaids!!!! too cute to bear.
    The asymmetrical earrings are the second coming of christalmightly. OMG, that purple shoe! I died.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah I have to agree with fanci, those earrings are the second coming- in fact if I look at them again I might have one too! (a second coming.)

    LOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVE the backgrounds on these, oh golly gosh do I. The blue is PERFECT, it contrasts with the pink and highlights the blue in the medals. YOU ARE WIN!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the shoe earrings. I knew you would "handle" these pieces with loveliness.

    I love the teal blue. But I wouldn't just stick with one color. Rotate ya background colors. This gets you in different treasuries and stuff!

    Love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you ladies for the background feedback. Sparrow you made me snort with laughter as you always do, and Opulent how can I possibly thank you for all these lovely things you have shared? xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love everything, that was so swell of her. Can't wait to see all the things you make!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never seen so much jewelry in one place! It's gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness gracious! You are just swimming in fancies and gorgeousness. I am so jealous that my eyes are almost popping from my head! But in a totally good way.

    ReplyDelete