Sunday, May 15, 2011

Saddle rings and baby python bones


I have made some changes recently in the shop, not only is the banner and backdrop different, but also the general feel of the place.  Change is always something that I embrace, and I am enjoying the juxtaposition of romantic and tribal punk.  The clair-obscur and arcane aesthetic is still a part of Corvid, but it is more subtle.  As Roald Dahl says: "“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.”

The picture above has some of my favorite things that I have been wearing as of late.  African cow bone beads, a baby python snake vertebrae necklace, Tibetan turquoise and coral saddle ring gifted from my mom, and BloodMilk's 8 of swords tarot necklace.  Everything pictured is so wonderfully detailed, the sterling sword piercing the sacred heart has depth and texture, and that saddle ring has such beauty and attitude.  My fiance was examining the snake bone beads last night, and when I told him what they were he recoiled and said "Great I am touching dead things."



Hand painted wooden Indonesian beads, each one is crafted differently and the colors are amazing.  Pumpkin, and gold swirled with creams and blacks.   A nice combo.


A traverse in wayward souls.  Hand carved bone and ginko root (!) skulls from Nepal.  The expressions on these little guys are so sweet.  



Check out these business cards,  the first is from Bloodmilk, and reads: "Dedicated in all sincerity to every lover of the true and beautiful."  How wonderful is that?  JL Schnabel the artist behind the curtain is an incredibly talented individual, writer, and a dear friend.  I will be writing more about her and Bloodmilk soon.  


The second is from a Tibetan bead seller (I have some wonderful pendants to share but lost my daylight so they'll be posted later) and has the phrase Om Ma Ni Padme Hun, Tibetan Buddhists believe that saying this mantra (prayer), out loud or silently to oneself, invokes the powerful benevolent attention and blessings of Chenrezig, the embodiment of compassion. 


Makes me want to redo my business cards.... 



The gold curb chain used in these is from fancifuldevices, two things came to mind as I was finishing these earrings. One the sun boat of the Egyptian god Ra, and two the Masonic freemason square and compass symbol.  I included my favorite Czech "Eye of Providence" beads as well to tie this all in.  

Freemason square and compass




Eye of Providence



Cutting all these lengths of chain and assembling them to just the right drape seemed to take forever. The glass beads in the center have the most amazing gold striations.  Tribal punk pretty.


6 comments:

  1. oh goodness you wonderful thing you!
    love everything- including your attitude toward it! bloodmilk is awesome. even borrowed a santo hand from me to make a cast of it. tell me more, though, since i dont know a lot about her...
    ps yr pieces are wonderful. i wouldnt be able to wear those necklase w/o 'raping it for beads' as my friend lilyofthevalley would say....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those wooden beads are terrific, and the earrings are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both so much for feedback. :) I am leaving my baby snake intact, but fanci you're getting some of these African cow bone beads soon. I'll be doing a whole blog post dedicated to Bloodmilk coming up here shortly. It is wonderful to see different artists sharing, and interacting through Etsy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the beads - and the Golden Mean earrings - there is something perfect about them...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stregata... thank you, I am sitting over here smiling from your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. kim,
    thanks again and again for your kind words . . .

    fanci,

    it seems i've taken your santo hand for ransom! it holds some powerful sway over me . . . everytime i try to wrap it up to send it out to you, something happens! i must must must get it out to you asap!

    ReplyDelete