I came home yesterday and received a nice big parcel in the mail from Sparrow, the light was horrible when I shot these, but I just had to share all this awesomeness. :)
It begins with a note written on the outside of the box that reads: "G'day mate! Here's a pressie for a top Sheila, cheers to ya for bein' such a fair dinkum cobber. Love ya guts, Penny."
Translation: "Pressie is the Australian affectionism of 'present'. Other affectionisms include Lolly (candy), brolly (umbrella), bikkie (biscuit), bevvie (beverage, though if you say 'wanna bevvy?' to an Australian they will expect a beer not any other beverage), Uey (pronounced Yoo-ey) is U-turn 'chuck a Uey' (take a u-turn) and Sickie which we've explored. Top Shelia- 'girl of admirable qualities' 'Top' is generally used to mean the best, top bloke, top bird, top job, etc. It's one of our English borrowings.
Sheila has become known as a generic Aussie name, with Bruce being the male counterpart. For reference, see Monty Python's 'The Bruce's' sketch, arguably the best authority on Australian culture ever. (No worries mates I've included the link for you guys, "howls...howls of derisive laughter").
Fair dinkum is like saying 'it's the truth, I mean every word of it'. And 'love ya guts' is a rough-house way to say I love you without sounding weak, used mostly by working class men who traditionally find affection difficult to express." -Sparrow
The note is unwrapped to reveal a pretty box that contains all of.....
This! Such an exciting treasure trove of elements! Let's take a closer look...
Nice brass tubes and studs, primitive clay beads, Indian bangles, hammered bangle frames, cool blue marbleish bead, a rough malachite I think, black tube, and one smokey quartz teardrop (love the singular beads)
There are two very precious things in this parcel to me, and this is one of them; it is a bracelet that Sparrow made awhile ago when she opened up her first shop. All artists have these, little castaways ... I myself have a pile and some get taken apart and remade into other things, others are like road signs that mark where you have come from, and where you are going. I treasure this little bit and love wearing it.
Victorian lace... my favorite, such an indulgence and treat.
Pentacle alley, I heart the copper ankh and nice metal bits. This little arcane corner brings me joy, Sparrow knows my fascination with symbols. See that sterling pentacle with the amethyst set in the center? That is the other sentimental piece in this parcel. It is something Sparrow use to wear in her 20s and I am flattered that she passed it on to me. It will be strung up with my other collection of bizarre charms and worn.
Beautiful hand dyed laces (she has some available in her shop in the form of DIY kits). I have always admired Sparrow's textiles, the colors that she achieves are so unique and not available anywhere else.
Thank you so much Sparrow, I love ya guts, you're my cobber for life and that is fair dinkum.
xoxoxox!








Aww! You know I look at that little pile and think how did I ever fit all that into that little box! I'm so glad you love all of it; the pleasure I get from seeing people so happy over these things is worth so much more than owning the pieces myself. This is the true reward for cleaning out the stash!
ReplyDeleteYou know I thought the same thing! (That it was amazing that you got it all to fit), so that is why I set it up to photograph in stages. Thank you so much for sharing and passing on these pieces... among the many things that I admire about you, your generous heart tops the list. xo!
ReplyDelete