Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Of the earth

prayers of the earth - artisan seed bead layering necklaces bracelet wraps

Prayer XXIII by Khalil Gibran

"Then a priestess said, "Speak to us of Prayer." 

And he answered, saying: 

You pray in your distress and in your need; would that you might pray also in the fullness of your joy and in your days of abundance. 

For what is prayer but the expansion of yourself into the living ether? 

And if it is for your comfort to pour your darkness into space, it is also for your delight to pour forth the dawning of your heart

...I cannot teach you the prayer of the seas and the forests and the mountains. 

But you who are born of the mountains and the forests and the seas can find their prayer in your heart..."



Vajra - Lightning flower tribal earrings

Hello friends,  I have been meaning to write in but have found myself halted by not much to say of late, instead I have been intent on making. Each day I look forward to the change of seasons, and already my allergies are signaling the conversion to Fall even though we still have 90 degree days here.  

Thinking of the title of this post, "of" is a tough sight word for my little one, she can spell "because" and use "experience" in her vocabulary correctly. But when learning to read "of" sounds like it begins with "u" instead of "o".  Did I confuse you?  Yah I am the mom of a 6 year old.  

Lotus blue moon - Lapis and mother of pearl goddess earrings

I posted these three new things in the shop, and have been really pleased with how they turned out.  (Isn't that buri nut seed bead in the first photo beautiful?  I love all the rough pitting and texture).   At his request I was showing Lloyd all the work I had completed recently one night after dinner, and was honestly surprised at how my pieces have been melding together when viewed as a collection,... different seams of ideas where things overlap.  My descriptive listings for each of these is extensive enough that I don't want to bore you here. 

I don't know if you've noticed but Etsy recently included the option of creating an "About" page that sellers can utilize in their shops. I have been enjoying reading them as they offer both insight, and a peek behind the curtains of some of my favorite artists.  Sparrow's is fascinating and sets the bar rather high both in photography and content, (that woman is amazing) and check out Fanci's which is as intriguing as she is.  Deserttalisman's gives a wonderful sense of place as well as purpose. So I am ruminating on mine and hoping that more of my friends will also put these "About" profiles to use.   I would love to read them!  I'll let you know when mine is up LOL.  

xo!


13 comments:

  1. Oh nice, thanks for posting the shop 'abouts'--I kept meaning to look around to see how people are managing them. I'll look forward to yours and maybe think about making my own. Love the new pieces--my favorite, the blue chandeliers. Lots of details, architectural and complex yet perfectly contained in logic and symmetry and sleek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richelle yours is one of the profiles I look forward to reading the most. Your blog posts are always so evocative, I feel like I already have a sense of the place where you live and work. The environmental context of where art is produced is always interesting to me as it adds an unseen influence. As of now I wish I could just sit and listen to you talk about Star Trek, metaphysics, old books and beads. Thank you for the awesome feedback about the blue earrings, your words made my day truly! xo

      Delete
    2. I am going to have to clear many cobwebs literal and metaphorical in order to complete the about page but I did just put up some placeholder photos as an incentive to get the brooms out and get busy. The only existing photos I have of the work dungeon are ones I posted on facebook to shame me into organizing. Weird it's the photos that seem so expository. I guess the writing can be more controlled. I like control. I want to see your about thing too!

      Delete
    3. Richelle just checked out your photo and it is great! It is just like you to shoot a beautiful path or entryway to get my mind meandering, and wondering where it leads too. And look at your profile pic! Is that you? Are you standing in the doorway of a church? a mosque? a barn? I want more please :) Yah photos are tough and very expository that is why you rarely see any of me. LOL you said you like control... I do too and admire your candor.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful pieces! Your earrings always make me stop and look for a spell.

    One of my goals for this year is to open an etsy shop. Nothing like waiting until the last minute. Thanks for sharing the helpful links to the 'about' pages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alice! I would love to see you open an Etsy shop in the near future, in my mind I feel like you are already on there with all our other friends. Let me know once you are all set up. All things in due time. :)

      Delete
  3. Always striving for the best your new work is wonderful as you r.
    My a bout page would contain one big giant question mark ...
    As I am still trying to figure that out. Maybe writing it would help clarify?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First off congratulations my friend! I am so proud of you and your recent publication. :) What a wonderful way to have your work shared and celebrated. Thank you for your kind words, I think writing it out would help to clarify your page. Yours I know would be so colorful and interesting with your background as a musician, and an vintage/antiques collector. This is such great material to start with, I look forward to reading yours soon. <3

      Delete
  4. girl! tell me when you blog! those earrings look like eyes, which you know i love. everything looks gorgeous. you forgot to mention i only have an about page b/c you told me to make one! and i find it embarrassing and sub-par.... but whatever. have i mentioned your photos are looking drop-dead gorgeous? cuz they so are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I will tell you in the future. I get shy because I feel like my blog posts are nothing big or epic to really share about compared to all the gorgeousness you and pipn or anvil will post. But I'll let you know. I love that fact that you were the first to point out that the lotus earrings look like eyes. In my second photograph of the listing you can really see that, pretty weeping eyes. Thanks for the kind words on my photos... it is a never ending quest to improve, luckily I have had you and Sparrow patiently giving me feedback on them all this time. Your About page is wonderful and enigmatic just like you. Love it! Plus I could always stare at some great Uru-haul. <3

      Delete
  5. Your posts are always thought provoking. I love the line in that poem that reminds us to be grateful in the fullness of our joys and days of abundance. Beautiful sentiment. Love love love the colors in your necklace. They remind me of a desert sunset. I've been sorely missing as of late and didn't know anything about About. Thank you for sharing the fascinating glimpses into the stories of these talented ladies and for the sneak peak at your new work. Detailed, beautifully constructed and uniquely designed, just wonderful, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know anything about the "About" pages either until I visited Desert's shop one day, and she put a small line about it in her announcement pages, now I am hooked on reading them whenever I can find one. Hopefully when you get settled you will share yours with us in the future too? LOL I was wearing my sword earrings today and "E" commented from the backseat of the car "you are wearing earrings by a FAMOUS artist" it was adorable. Thank you for the wonderful feedback you know it means a lot coming from you. xo!

      Delete
  6. Awww sweet E. please give her a big hug from me. In her precious little realm, I just might qualify as famous! Too cute.
    And it's official. Moving actually does give me brain mush. You mean the 'about' page in our Etsy profiles? That about? The one I filled out when I opened my store? Oh. Sheesh. Hahahaha. See I was perplexed as my about page is nothing like the eloquent ones you cited. They can add writing to their long list of talents. Again, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete