Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Silence and storm

 Several Circles - Wassily Kandinsky

Still Life with Pomegranates - Henri Matisse

Scarecrow - Andrew Wyeth

Burning my eyes in the dark prepping to teach these three paintings today to my favorite group of individuals... my daughter's Kindergarten class.  I am fortunate that her school offers an Art docent program, and that I am able to co-teach art with another wonderful dedicated mother.  Seeing with new eyes, and bringing awareness and knowledge to great works.  I am excited to help introduce and share these patterns and subjects, lines, textures and forms.  

My best friends on Etsy conjure similar artistry of their own.  Here are my connections

Abstract... visual organization in no recognizable pattern...  bangle stack via fancifuldevices


Still life ...  unicorn blood via sparrowsalvage


Realism... the underworld via BloodMilk

New works are coming soon for the shop, (I am weaving delicate patterns in my mind), but first I get a much needed respite by the sea for my upcoming birthday.  

5 comments:

  1. Man, I have trouble visualising a kindergarten that gets to look at stuff like that. When I was in Kinder we made octopus out of old tights and read Black Beauty. Times, you change.

    And aww to you about puttin' me earrings on your blog. I can't get over those fanci bangles, she better make a shitload. (Aussie slang for a lot.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You crack me up. We say shitload too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! I was looking at these famous works of art here, got distracted a moment, saw my goofy bangles out of the corner of my eye, and it didn't register for a good while before I was like- HEY! That's mines!
    You didn't say- *what* are you going to teach about the kandinsky matisse and wyeth? I wanna know how one teaches this to kindergardeners. I mean, other than 'what colors do you see, what shapes?" ... I guess that's kind of it "how does it make you feel? what does it make you think of?" etc. ok, answered my own question. i guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lucky those children are! Expressionism and cubism repertoire weren't well introduced into my life until I was a teen. And, alas! I wasn't introduced to the works of those three Etsy dames des joaillerie until earlier this year!
    Did you show the kids the late Kandinsky? I saw those pink and robin egg and honeysuckle colored late Paris works of his a couple of years ago at the Guggenheim in NY and I thought maybe the kids would really like those.

    ReplyDelete
  5. fanci, yes you answered your own question, today was our first lesson in introducing the children to colors and the color wheel, we had them mix paint and I did a guided exercise in them making their own abstract painting. We did a short interactive discussion of these three works plus two others that my partner chose. Concepts like texture (feel your hair, then feel your cheek), pattern recognition in the Matisse, mood and lines in the Wyeth....etc...

    mx... I did show the kids the Kadinsky, :) and I will look up the pink and robin egg, and honeysuckle colored. That would tie in really well with a seasonal spring theme.

    xoxo!

    ReplyDelete